Saturday, 25 February 2012

Mollys Entrance into the world

Sunday 30th October one day overdue. I had been joking all week about being in the shops and my waters breaking and was the myth about getting your trolley of shopping for free but would be absolutely mortified if this happened but we decide to brave it not expecting it to ever happen. We wonder off to the shops for some bits and pieces. Luckily no massive gushes in sainsburys didn't want to hear over tannoy cleaner to aisle 2 for spillage!

We get home and I say to hubby jokingly I feel like Ive wet myself but don't think anymore of it and so Hubby goes out to look for fireworks for the party at my mums in a few days and I go to the loo.

 I see fresh blood and panic a little, I always think blood is a bad bad sign so think its time to call the hospital, midwife questions me and  reckons that its my waters breaking  for us to come in. So call mum and tell her she needs to do some emergency babysitting.

We take Sophie to my mums house and then go along to the hospital, I feel fine no pain no contractions so concerned as to if this blood is just waters, never thought there would be blood if waters gone but baby's still moving so know shes ok.

Once at the hospital I'm examined and the midwife thinks that Ive definitely lost my waters and am actually 2cm dilated and having contractions but as were laughing and joking about I'm sent home, to have a bath relax and if nothing starts I'm told to come back in for midday the next day for an induction.  So off we go.... seems to be a pattern to my hospital visits and labour but this feels so very different to the last time I'm reassured except by the size of my bump, I'm massive and with waters going it doesn't seem to be decreasing so wondering now if this is actually all baby and if it is this may smart a little!!!!!

We go back to my mums house to check in with Sophie and decide that the best option is leave Sophie there in case of any mad dashes to the hospital in the middle of the night.  I have a cuppa and then we make our way back home.

Back at home I make sure everything is ready to go, my phones charged so I can read tweets keep me occupied. I sit on my exercise ball with telly remote and drink all to hand and try to get the labour to go up a gear by bouncing away whilst watching TOWIE and other rubbish Id not got round to. Husband goes to bed for some rest so that he can stay awake with me this time!

I'm alot more calmer I know what to expect and start to get excited about meeting baby, Id said all along that I was due the end of October rather than giving a date and also how I didn't really want to give birth on Halloween due to never being allowed to take that day off work if I was due to work as it was such a busy day so sods law dictates that the baby is so going to be born on Halloween.

Ive watched all the rubbish on telly and its now 1am, time to go to bed get some rest, the pain is ok and I learnt the hard way the last time.

2am I'm awake, in agony so I come downstairs and start to time the contractions, they're coming every 3/4 mins so I call the hospital again and they tell me to come in.  I wake the husband up and off we go again praying that I'm not going to be sent home again.

At the waiting room in the hospital I'm gripping onto the husband to work through the contractions and finally they call my name and I'm taken into a delivery suite. There the midwife examines me and I could have kissed her as I was 5cm and could stay no going home this time, and I get on the gas and air.  I don't really feel any a
effect from this and as it provides no relief as such and I ask for an epidural, Ive had it before and know its not as bad as I once feared, I'm not good with pain Ive decided Ive done kidney stones and gall stones but birth and no drugs I'm a pansy.

4am I get the epidural in and listen to the heartbeat on the monitor for a little bit. So reassuring and baby seems happy enough working her way out and I'm able to rest up have a little something to eat and drink and save energy for the work ahead.

Shift change over and I get a lovely midwife and a trainee who then examine me and concur that I'm good to go, they will give me 45 mins as apparently is the done thing with epidural and then we start the pushing.

This whole experience so far has been so different to Sophie's, mainly that baby isn't back to back and shes engaged and ready to go. I'm calm, hubby's had some rest and now on Halloween I was going to meet my baby.

So I remember the midwife form the first time round to tell me to push like I was having a poo and so with this in mind this is what I did, pushed every time I had a contraction. As I was about to start pushing the other midwife that came in to assist was the same midwife that examined me the day before when my waters had gone and it was nice to see a friendly face of sorts.

I pushed and pushed as I was told and paused when I was told and out came your head, it was surreal I couldn't feel any pain but had the sensation of it which was all that I wanted first time round. The 2nd midwife then started to tell me I had to push and she said it in such a way I knew I HAD to push I didn't want intervention again so I pushed with everything I had left. The shoulder was stuck and she was stuck for a little bit longer than they would have liked but once the baby was out it was evident why it was a bit trickier than first thought.

Monday 31st October 2011 10lb9oz 1036am Molly May was born, calmly no fuss just a little bit purple/blue looking from where she got stuck and very long.

I got skin to skin contact and tried to feed straight away it was all that I wanted and would have liked first time but as this was going to be the last time I was glad to end on such a good experience.

I waited for the Dr to come in and check me over as I had torn and I came over very ill, only to be described as like a migraine and I was waiting for a long time to him to come back for the stitching up process and I felt awful, i wasn't allowed to eat. Once they had decided the Dr wasn't coming back the midwife who had assisted and checked me firstly sewed me up.  After that I was given clean sheets and left alone with hubby and Molly for a bit to bond but felt so ill had to leave Molly in the cot but suddenly the urge came over me to be sick and was desperately looking for the little sick bowls which hubby was fumbling with to get one out of the stack, cant do it so passes the whole stack but too late the nice fresh sheets are not so fresh anymore but I feel sooo much better. I call the midwife to confess my little mishap and am sent off for a shower with hubby watching me whilst they looked after Molly and then once freshened up i feel even better and then waited to be taken up to the ward whilst Molly slept soundly and we started to tell everyone about the birth.

I was taken to the ward and waited for Sophie and Mum to come and meet the new addition to our now complete family. Sophie was thankfully ok with this new bundle as she had got a new Woody doll from Molly so it eased the pain of not being the apple of everyones eye for now.

The next few days again was a blur of feeding and suckling until milk came in, visitors and lots of Sophie being  extremely pleased with her new little sister.

We were now an perfect family with two beautiful girls xx

No comments:

Post a Comment