Saturday, 18 February 2012

Sophies entrance into the world

5am I wake with a start, was that a contraction?
Labour had been threatening for a few days and was this everything moving up a gear? Another contraction, yep that's labour wow I'm going to meet my baby finally after 9 months shes going to be here I'm going to be a mummy.

To excited to go back to sleep I stare out the window at the trains going by all the commuters going about their daily business whilst we were about to go from a couple to a family at last.  I wonder into the babies room all set up and cant quite believe this is it.

So by 9am Ive buckled in and got my mum round, my thoughts of having this baby with just me and the husband present and then telling everyone afterwards have gone out the window I'm in too much pain I need my mummy.

Hubby's returned home from work and were off to the Hospital, I'm in agony getting into the car is not easy and sitting still for the journey isn't easy but I figure that contracting every 5 Min's with 2 contractions at a time I should be fairly far along and be seeing baby soon....

WRONG

Baby's back to back, I'm only 2 cms and I'm sent home to progress as the hospital is heaving and no room for me to hang about, I'm given a sweep which isn't the nicest sensation in the world but being told that it speeds me up I put up with it.  So we go back to my mums house as its closer to the hospital and she has the biggest bath in the world and I'm thinking it will help me along with the tens, obviously not in the bath though.

I stay at mums until 4pm when I'm still going 2 at a time and every 5 mins and I'm struggling, so the hospital tell me to come in again and see how far along I am, its been 12 hours nearly so I'm hopeful were nearly there.

WRONG

still only 2cm along, we've got no where since this morning, this is so disheartening to be sent home again. This time we go back to my house and hubby and mum get themselves some food and rest as I think its going to be a long night.

9pm, I cant go on, no let up, no rest I haven't been able to sit still Ive been walking about trying to keep labour going, Ive not eaten and I'm flagging, so off we go again to the hospital.

I'm examined and finally 4cm and they admit me, there a bit too much blood for their liking after the sweep and they want to monitor baby for a little bit just make sure shes ok.
She also suggests an epidural, this was something I didn't want the thought of a great big needle in my back is not something I'm comfortable with it also doesn't fit with my dreams Id been having of no pain relief and a relaxing water birth, but being honest with myself the relief of the drugs will provide me with a welcome break from this pain that Ive had since 5am that morning.

Epidural is in, feels like a hot water bottle on my back and the pain slowly starts to fade and I become me again, I can relax a little, the baby seems happy enough but not engaging fully and the labour is starting to slow. They add something to my drip to speed up the labour and mum and hubby cat nap where they can to get some rest whilst I sit there and wait.

Dr's come and go and with the midwife they conclude that I'm likely to need some intervention with pushing.  I sign the form in case of C-section and wait again.

Shift change over for midwives and the new one comes in and informs me were going to start pushing in a bit and see if we can get this baby out, I push and shes not coming out so off to theatre we go for forceps.

Wheeled down the corridor hubby waits back in the room getting himself ready in his scrubs a nice green outfit for him to wear, I'm given a spinal block and prepared in case of C-section. Hubby joins me and the pushing begins...

I push they pull I push they pull, the process repeats for an hour or so and the lady Dr is so determined to get you out that at 1.36pm your finally born.

Thursday 10 July 2008 1.36pm 8lb5oz Sophie Mai is born, your a bit bruised and battered and not particularly happy and you show this by having a poo inside me.

Baby is checked over and everything is fine, I'm a little bit torn as well as being cut so they do some lovely needlework on me whilst me and daddy stare at you and decide what we are going to call you.

Not sure how long but were taken to the recovery ward, I'm hoping for some tea and toast that everyone tells me you get after giving birth, but nothing. I start to shake as all the drugs wear off and I stare at you. A midwife approaches and asks if Ive fed you yet, I reply no don't have a clue where to start with it to be fair but instead of let me help show you etc I get well you've probably missed the boat there then, put her next to your skin and then she saunters off. I'm alone as hubby and mum have gone home to get changed and some food and I cant quite believe it. After another shift change over I get a nice midwife who helps me get showered and up onto the ward where I finally at 10pm feed you. 

Not much sleep that night but I keep trying to feed you and get some rest, bit difficult when we both finally drop off but one of the other babies in the ward starts.

We get to go home on the Saturday as baby has  got jaundice and bruised and battered and my blood iron is low so they want to keep an eye on us for a bit. I was glad to get home it was great I had some flowers and balloons greeting me and to my bed.

The next few days were a blur of no sleep, baby permanently stuck to my boob and visitors. She lost a bit more weight than they would have liked and had developed jaundice and my milk took forever to come but we managed until it was time for hubby to go back to work and then the fun really began.

now we were a family.....



PS I didn't miss the boat I breast fed for 7 months !

No comments:

Post a Comment