Thursday, 26 April 2012

Breastfeeding

Ive been incredibly lucky with both my girls that breastfeeding has been a relatively easy thing.  Once we got through the 6 week pain barrier with Sophie my eldest it was a breeze, and with Molly we never had that awful 6 weeks it just once established seemed like she had been doing it for ages.

Now I'm not one of those hardcore you should breastfeed mums, I tried it and it worked for me had it not worked I wouldn't have hesitated switching to formula because as far as I am concerned as long as baby is being fed and mum is happy then that is all that matters full stop.  I was lucky I haven't had mastitis and cracked nipples or any of the nasty side effects that can occur due to breastfeeding so Ive fed both girls to at least 6 months. 

Ive now reached this point with Molly she will be 6 months on Monday and for a few days now shes been having formula at bedtime and happily chugging away on the bottle.  I should be grateful its not been a fight to get her to take the bottle like we had for the eldest and that when I go back to work I will be safe in the knowledge that hubby can give her a full bottle of milk at bedtime whilst I'm working and she can go to sleep with a full tummy but.....it makes me a little bit sad still how shes switched so easily from me to the bottle without so much as a thanks mum Ill miss your boob.

And as I slowly stop altogether Ill miss that little hand under my arm playing about tickling me and the other one holding onto my fingers as I feed her, Ill miss seeing her milky moustache thinking that's all me, Ill miss the comfort that only I can give her but.. I know that I've grown her all from a little seedling in my tummy then from my milk until shes got to be a massive baby elephant and that all the goodness she needs from me she got. But my goodness how I wont miss those god damn awful feeding bras and the non cleavage and support they don't give you and wont for much longer have to worry about what top I'm wearing when I'm going out and will it be discrete enough.

So roll on the shopping for new underwear but boo to the end of a wonderful experience


No comments:

Post a Comment